Monday, September 15, 2008

An exciting weekend in Cedar City - What?! That's possible?

So this weekend was amazing! I really can't recall the last time I've had so much fun in Cedar City! I mean I love this city but to be honest there's nothing to do here... so! To have an entire weekend be exciting is a very rare thing ;-)

It all started on Friday night when we decided to have a little get together at my house. There weren't a lot of people there but that was ok :-) We ordered pizza, talked, danced a bit, and watched a few internet videos. Yay party! I think one of the coolest things about it (not to sound prideful) was that the majority of the party was my idea. For those of you who really know me, know that while I like to have fun I may not always be the most outgoing and sociable person. To my camp friends this might come as a bit of a shock. You see, at camp I am a completely different person. I'm outgoing, loud, adventurous and crazy. I don't know what it is about Trefoil that makes me feel that way but it's definitely a good thing! So I kind of made it my goal at the end of this camp season to be more camp-like at school. IE - I need to stop hiding behind my shy-ness and get out there and be Snickerdoodle not just Becky. Now my close friends already know the "Snickerdoodle" side of me (though it didn't have a name for years. Wow... I just realized I have an alternative personality... that's awesome!). Especially my old roommates. To much of the outside world I am this quiet, somewhat shy person but to them? Well... just ask them! I am anything but! I'm sure there are times they wish I was! Anyways - what I'm trying to say is that Friday was a big step for me in the right direction :-) I'm very proud of myself *pats self on the back*

Dani and me having a bit of a dance party. Yeah we're awesome.

The excitement continued on Saturday when bright and early I accomplished one of my college-long goals. Ever since I was a freshman I'd heard of the Kanarraville Falls hike. I knew of lots of people who'd done it and loved it so I was determined that before I graduated from SUU I would go on this famous hike. Well! Saturday I finally got the chance to do that. Silly though it may be it totally made me happy! And why wouldn't it? Accomplishing goals after a long time is great! So anyways, Saturday Dani and Karina came over and we made the long drive to Kanarraville (all 9 miles ;-) ). Here are a few pictures documenting our amazing journey...

Karina and me starting out

So this was the infamous "log of doom" that Karina remembered from her Freshmen year... only... the log was now on the ground and therefore not scary. Nonetheless we decided to still conquer it! As you can see I'm very supportive of my friends :-) Dani - hard as I try to get rid of her I just can't! *sigh* Just Kidding - I love that girl! I'd go crazy without her :-)

One of the awesome waterfalls from the hike! It was so great because most of the hike you're walking through water! There is even a time when it's up to your waist! The only down side is that the water is freaking freezing! But it's still amazing so I really can't complain :-)

Some nice guy took a picture of us all. I love these two! They seriously are some of my favorite people ever! It's days like these that I remember this saying - I got it off a bumper sticker from Facebook, a little lame I know, but I love the truth behind it - "I've learned that your college friends become a kind of family. You eat together, you have movie all nighters. You laugh; you cry; you fight; you do absolutely nothing together until you cannot seem to remember how you ever lived without them." Ok so it says nothing about hiking together... but work with me! I'm trying to be senitmental ;-) (Random side note: notice the progressive increase of soakage (wow that sounded cool)? Dani is soaked to the knees (she didn't go as far), I'm soaked to the waist (I went a bit farther) and Karina is thoroughly soaked (she slid down the freezing waterfall. Crazy girl! She seriously was beginning to lose all feeling in her body by the time we started heading back - it was little scary...)



So a weekend would not be complete without Sunday (wow that was profound... ;-) ). Church was really great. I feel really bad because I'm in the same ward that I was last year only last year I didn't give it much of a chance. My first two years in Cedar City I lived in Juniper Hall (a ghetto fabulous sleep and study dorm). I really got spoiled becase every year the ward would start anew - Juniper didn't really have residents in the summer so all the students that came in the fall were in the same boat of adjusting to a new ward. That being said, the ward was really close. So upon moving out of Juniper into a ward that existed all year round... I was a little unfair. Since the ward was well established there were already friends and cliques. And since I only knew my roommates I didn't try and be too active in my ward... not to say I went inactive - I just never gave the ward a fair shot. I went home quite a bit and visited my other friends wards. Well - upon returning to the same house and thus the same ward this year I was a little nervous. But I decided the best thing to do was to try and forget my past ideas and treat this ward as if it were one of my Juniper wards... it worked. I left church feeling wonderful! Why didn't I give this ward a chance last year? It's amazing! Um wow side tracked... anyways! So church was wonderful, I'm really starting to feel welcome and at home in it.

After Church my roommates and I watched a movie and went to the weekly firside (we had Elder Snow of the Seventy come down! It was great!) After the fireside Bryan came over and taught me how to play Risk. It was great because I've always wanted to learn but have never been given the opportunity... nerdy as it sounds? I loved it! I think I may have found another favorite game to play! Only... since it was my first time my strategy wasn't so great... let's just say I ended up with all my people on Madascar fighting to the death against Bryan's army... Needless to say I didn't make it...


Thus concludes the recap of my awesome weekend. I'm really hopeful more of my weekends in this small town will be just as exciting :-)

4 comments:

Dani said...

Oh man I love Risk games like that...only usually it's Kelly on Madagascar fighting me in the rest of the world, but that's just because he's nice. He's much more strategic than me, however now that he's off teaching goodwill to people and I've been in the States taking classes like WWI, WW2, World Military History, and Ancient Greece and Rome, maybe the tides will turn a little bit...bwahahahaha!

Lindsey said...

This makes me miss my Cedar Friends!!! Please come visit!! Or I shall come visit. I miss you all!!

Anonymous said...

That sounds like so much fun! I'm so glad that you finally did Kanaraville!

Marcindra LaPriel said...

Go Snickerdoodle! Way to be a Snickerdoodle instead of a Becky. I'm proud of you for getting out there. Good on ya!

But you really should work on your strategem.