Thursday, October 23, 2008

Why can't life be a musical?

Wouldn't life be great if everything was like a musical? Whenever you get a profound thought everyone around you would burst into song and dance with you? How many times have you thought of a song that perfectly describes what you're feeling/thinking?

For those of you don't know I've worked at a Girl Scout camp for the past two summers. This last summer a few of us were discussing this "musical concept" and decided - wait! Why can't life be a musical?! So we went to the downstairs of the lodge and planned a whole musical number. The next day during lunch when everyone was there we started playing music and we got up and started to sing and dance around. After we were done we sat down and acted like nothing had happened. It was amazing! The kids loved it and so did the counselors (Only those who were at the "planning session" knew about our plan so we surprised half of the staff). Since this was such a success we decided to keep this up every week and so we did! Below are a few pictures that were taken during various "numbers." I'd post videos but sadly I don't have any - others do :-(
These are from our original musical number "King of New York"

This was from the Admin staff's rendition of "Do you Believe in Magic" in costumes made from an old parachute.

Last but definitely not least! These last 3 are from our final and perhaps most involved production of "Step in Time" from Mary Poppins - it was completely amazing!



The main reason for this blog is that this last weekend reminded me how amazing musicals can really be. Last Saturday Dani, Nate, and I went to the SUU's production of "Musical of Musicals!: The Musical" - it was hilarious! I would recommend this to anyone! It's a musical production that tells the same story through 5 different styles of musicals. The story is about a girl who can't pay her rent, her boyfriend who pays it in the end, the "evil" landlord, the lady who always gives advice, and two chorus members who play random parts throughout the show. It was hilarious to see all the obscure references to different plays (you could definitely tell who loved musicals as those people were constantly laughing while everyone else laughed but looked a little confused).

Also last weekend my household was introduced to "Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog." My life has been changed... I'm not even kidding! I watched it well over 10 times (I'm a little embarrassed to admit the actual amount) last weekend alone! I've posted it below but I warn you unless you want to get the music stuck in your head and become addicted don't watch! But it will change you... I promise ;-)





The moral of the story? Make your life a musical! If you feel like breaking out into song and dance just do it! Who cares what others think? In fact - get some friends to join you and make a scene! Like these people at a mall in California did :-)



1 comment:

Marcindra LaPriel said...

Dear Snickerdoodle,

Yes. Life should be a musical. I believe this wholeheartedly. So much so that for Halloween my five roommates and I were Newsies. We trained for a month until we could nail one of the dances. You better believe we broke out in song and dance on campus. Check out the videos on facebook. I know you'll be proud :)