Friday, October 17, 2008

Highs and Lows

Have you ever noticed that after you have an extended period of good weeks you're due for a bad one? Man I hate that pattern in life...

So these last few weeks have seriously been amazing! I don't know what it is! Life has seriously been going my way! As you can see from my last couple of blogs I've definitely had a lot of adventures this school year and am happy for it! Since the last entry there's been General Conference (how can you not feel good after that? Overwhelmed a bit... but happy!), a class trip to Ruby's Inn in Bryce Canyon (Very interesting... we had to observe their customer service and later we get to present to the owners and the Dean of our college what they're doing wrong... yeah! Great! That'll go over well...), a trip home and several other excitements.

My trip home was perhaps the best thing thats happened of everything else. I was able to leave last Friday around 10:30 am and head up north. Around 2pm I met up with one of my best friends from camp Boots (Chelsey to the real world) and we went to lunch, went shopping, and I helped her prepare some stuff for a YSA activity. It was so great that I was able to go up and spend time with her - It really bites being so far from home and people sometimes... After hanging out with her I traveled with my family up to Kaysville to go to my cousin's wedding. It was so great to see a lot of my extended family - all I can say is that whomever marries me is gonna have to put up with a lot of crazies! Then on Saturday I was able to see my friend Kensey - we were best friends from elementary to high school, we've since gone separate ways but we're still pretty close. After going home I got to talk for a while with Crazy Corey - oh man that kid is awesome! Yet another person that lives to far away. Then in the evening I went with my parents up to Hill Air Force Space to get my Dad's Military ID (He works for the Air Force fyi...) and then we went out to eat at the Burger Barn (It was featured on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives on the Food Network. If you ever get the chance - eat there! Their Buffalo burger, french fries, and fried mushrooms are amazing!). Lastly Sunday I was able to spend even more time with my parents, scan a few old family photos, and visit Nate and Derek as I headed back down to Cedar City. Overall the weekend was so great because I got to connect with a lot of people that I don't normally get to see. I left home feeling so happy! I seriously have some of the best friends and family in the whole world!

I don't know what it is but the last couple of weeks I've been so upbeat about everything - nothing seems to get me down! Things that would normally bug me haven't phased me in the least - I've been able to brush them aside and just laugh at them (Elder Wirthlin had the right idea in Conference :-) ). It has been such an amazing thing! I've loved being able to be so happy and upbeat! That was... until this Monday hit and something changed. It didn't really start out as one thing but rather a combination of things - midterms (which have never effected me that much before), work, finances, sibling stupidity, late night projects and a little friend drama. I was still handling things pretty well despite the fact that I could feel myself slipping but Wednesday things all came to a head when my Mom was admitted back into the hospital.

The story of my Mom's health problems is definitely a long and involved one which I won't go into too much detail about here. In Reader's Digest version (yes this is the short version): Back in 2002 my Mom went in for a routine hernia repair surgery. She'd gone in for several before and never really had any problems. A few days after the surgery my Mom started to feel a little funny and talked to the doctor about it - he felt she was overreacting and nothing was wrong. Well - a few days later they found out she had Staph infection. After several treatments, surgeries and nearly dying my Mom recovered... or so we thought. It was later discovered that she had a fistula ("an abnormal connection or passageway between two epithelium-lined organs or vessels that normally do not connect." Basically - not good...) in her intestines. Hoping to solve this she was put on a feeding IV (not sure the real name of it) for a few months - she couldn't eat or drink at all and get all of her nutrition from an IV she had to connect to every night. The end seemed to be in sight when she began to heal and things started to get back to normal - then earlier this year things turned again for the ugly. After having lost a lot of weight my Mom again went in for surgery - this time to not only repair a hernia but to close the hole in her stomach that had been there since 2002 (there was only a layer of skin separating her stomach from the outside... lovely picture isn't it?). Again everything seemed to be going according to plan - the surgery went well, the wound was closed and everyone was excited... but then, again, complications were had, followed by more surgeries, long hospital stays and several never ending nights. Finally in June everything was passed - she was feeling great and healthy and all looked to be going well... until this week. On Tuesday night my parents made a horrifying and discouraging discovery - it appeared my Mom had another Fistula - hoping they were wrong they went to the doctor who only confirmed their suspiscion. From there she was readmitted to the hospital and is now back on the feeding IV in hopes that the problem will heal itself in a few months (because the doctor does not want to have to open her up for another surgery - after all of the complications and problems my family definitely agrees). She'll be released in a few days which is great but that doesn't mean that the problem will be gone.

This all leads me to wonder - why are some people's bodies different than others? What makes some people heal so well and others to have complication after complication? Why does someone have to go through the same exact thing more than once? Especially in relation to health problems - once is hard enough but to go through it again is even worse... I'm sure the wise would say "you go through something twice because you did not learn all that you had to the first time" and in most cases I readily agree... but in this situation? Why does a person have to suffer so much? What does it take for a body to heal and get better?

*sigh* But here we are getting carried away. I know that things could definitely be worse *knock on wood* and I'm so grateful that they're not. A wise returned missionary bore his testimony last Sunday and said "I am grateful to Heavenly Father that He allows us to have trials." It's true that trials truly refine you and make you better. In fact this week in my Institute Class we talked about adversity and how things make us stronger. I've long had as my motto "What does not destroy me makes me strong" and it is definitely true. It's amazing that through trials and the lowest points in your life you find yourself turning your thoughts to your Eternal Father and you draw yourself closer to Him. Sometimes I wonder why it takes hardships for us to do this. Shouldn't we be seeking Him at all times? Especially in our happy times? Then again we are mortal and we let the things of this world take precedence and we forget the more important things in life...

Anyways - now that I've gone all deep, sentimental and ponderful - it's time to share some pictures! These are a few pictures I found among old photo albums - enjoy taking a look at the younger Becky :-)

I'm the cute one in front ;-)

This is me with my Grandma Nielsen - definitely one of my cuter days ;-)


Yeah - by age 4 I could totally fly my own helicopter. You're jealous.

This was taken after my Baptism

I'm the small cute one on the left - yay for old family photos!

Ok so this is a more recent one - I think this is when I was going off to my 2nd year at SUU - but I love it! My brother is pretty much amazing!

No comments: